Monday, September 27, 2010

Textbooks

This med-surg textbook costs us $200 and it has the nerve to remind me to encourage patients to eat when they are not nauseated. Thank you, thank you so much for that novel nugget of advice. So glad I spend hours upon hours preparing for class and tests and took out oodles of student loans to be reminded, that patients should eat. Thanks.
Besides the fact that the material on exam 3 does not maintain my interest, the textbook has to go and be so lame.

Anyway, I have another gripe. I went to a coffeeshop to study this evening, for one I was in need of change in scenary and two, I really did need coffee. I focus well in any environment and having people around me doesn't distract me from studying, except when people around me actually try to engage in a conversation with me.
I sit down with a huge med-surg textbook that glares it's title "MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING"
Person at table next to me visually examines the textbook as I proceed to sit down, yet they STILL go on to ask me "What ya studying?"
Nursing.
"Oh, sounds hard. That's a really big book"
Yeah, I have lots to study.
....And I added in a glare to suggest that I also don't need to be bothered with nonsense chit chat.
Person smiles and resumes their activity on their laptop.
And the world keeps spinning.

I get in the groove, got a flow to reading and highlighting some key points..

Person next to me starts laughing and mumbles something to them self about it being so funny..
I'm hoping this person keeps whatever is funny private, I suspect not.

"So, what's your name?"

Here is where I snap..

I'm sorry, I really do have a lot to study and can't afford to chat.

Didn't even offer to offer my name, just snapped.

Really dude. I came in here with a huge textbook that you visually studied, continued toremind me how big my book is and yet you still think I want to chat with you? What if I had sat in the other corner, would you have walked up and asked my name still? Do you do this regularly? Do chat with people at the gas pump and in the grocery line too? How about in the bathroom stalls? Probably all of the above.

I'm all for some chit chat but people sometimes just ask for it at the wrong times.

Worst part is, I knew the guy. He used to practice his chat chat at the other coffee house down the street. Two years ago or so he learned my name and apparently forgot it.
Even less of a reason for me to remind him!


No comments:

Post a Comment