Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nursing Students: Community Health Rotation

This block's "Community Health" rotation consisted of us going to an elementary school to educate kids on hygiene, nutrition, hand washing, exercise, and answering questions they have.

Imagine that. Just take a moment to picture this.

8am, tired ass nursing students sitting in circles with elementary aged kids who ate straight bacon & sugar for breakfast, and trying to educate them.

HAAAA.

We had 8 groups of kids to circle through.
The first 1-2, I was friendly with.
The 3-4, I started to discipline "sit up please" "come back to the circle" "LISTEN"
5-6, I started to get angry. "Anyone in your family talk about having "diabetes" or "heart problems" *points to chest*
Every, single kid YES.
Well, do you want to have those problems? Doesn't look fun does it?
NO
Okay then DON'T EAT FRIED CHICKEN AND BACON EVERY DAY!!!
My inner thoughts "MAYBE TEACH YOUR PARENTS WHAT A DAMN VEGETABLE IS!!"
Kids WHAAATT BUT I LOVES MA FRIEND CHEEKEN AND DEM BACONS

Holy fuck. No wonder these obesity is an epidemic.
My clinical mate brought a box of plastic toys in the shapes of foods, veggies, fruits, bad things: fries, burgers, chicken leg, etc. We had them separate good/bad, tell us why its good/bad.
Half of them thought hotdogs were as healthy as a bowl of green peas and half of them couldn't tell me what cauliflower was, they couldn't identify an APPLE.

This day was about as useful as a button on a dishrag.
We talked and talked, but I sincerely doubt jackshit sunk in.

One of my clinical mates has a very low tolerance for bullshit & stupidity, as evidenced by his parenting of his daughter, and he snapped.

After we did a round of 4 groups, 1 class combined, the PE instructor let them play ball for a few minutes before going back to their homeroom.
He blew his whistle to signal play time was over and said 20 seconds to get everything back in place and sit in line.
1 minute elapses and the kids are scrambling to return balls/jump ropes and get back to the other side of the gym.
1 straggly, very noncompliant, very pissy kid was taking his sweet old time and literally bitching the teacher out!
He essentially told the kid he won't get anywhere in life if he keeps misbehaving and acting out.
Harsh? No. Those kids needed a serious can of whoop ass, as my grandpa would have said.

Nearly all of the kids would talk back to us and the teachers, they were just straight up brats.
Now I'm not that young, I'm quite young, and I remember being in grammar school.
That shit would have NEVER flown. Granted, I did go to private schools, but times ARE inarguably different.

I have respect for teachers, that's a lot of bullshit to put up with.

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, YES. Teachers are so brave and incredibly tolerant of the crap they deal with on a daily basis.

    I could never be a teacher; I simply don't have the stamina for it. Also, I think would shot someone.

    ReplyDelete