Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday competing with Monday for worst day of the week.

Sleeping through an alarm is never a good start for any day.
Luckily, I was just getting up early for non-essential errands. Just irked that I have to put them off even more now.

Going to lecture was the biggest waste. Gynecology issues. Coming from a female, got that department covered. And yet again.. lecturer read the powerpoint. WAAASTE.

The real nitty gritty of the day was my Macbook.

I made an appointment with the Apple store to meet with a "Genius."

I've had a CD stuck in there for months, not really a big deal, but I occasionally want to use the CDs that come with textbooks and boyfriend has been territorial over his appliances since I've been with mine. We have a very large divided issue on using each other's computers/cellphones. Not for privacy issues, just I'm typically electronically challenged and I hate the way he leaves my laptop lying around on the sofa. I'm anal retentive.

Anyway...

The son of a bitch is out of warranty. The "Genius" diagnosed my optical drive as malfunctioning and in need of replacement.
Well, it can wait.

Since I'm already here with my laptop... can you run a diagnostics?

He gives me a saddened face.
He discovered my hard drive was "near failure."

My assessment skills clicked in..
Define near failure.
What caused this?
What could have prevented this?
How much time until I get some BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH?
Are you sure?
How can you tell?

He tells me this........."Well, it's kind of like getting a cold and going to the doctor.. they can treat you for it but can't tell you where you caught the cold."

Are you fucking kidding me? Apple products are supposed to be the holy grail of computers/phones and this is the kind of fucking bullshit you hand me when it craps out on me?!

The price tag on these fixes/labor was getting close to $500. Halfway to just replacing the whole fucking laptop and getting a new warranty.

I'm going to investigate do-it-yourself options... which probably isn't a logical decision considering how I am hated far and wide by electronic devices, but what the hell.

Speaking of being hated by electronic devices, I have a good post soon on EasilyAmused VS The Remote. Trust me, it's a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Something similar happened with my friend's ipod. I mean, I know it's not a macbook, but it can still be pricey, as all things with mac are. But they essentially told her that ALL of her data on her ipod was lost and unrecoverable and what's even worse? They had no clue how and why it happened and told her something like "Sometimes, stuff like this just happens." I'm not kidding when I say I genuinely thought that I might have to hold her back from lunging at the "Genius."

    Anyway, she got a new one which she had to buy without a discount of any sort. TOTAL BULL.

    But sorry you're having such troubles. I think most people have trouble grasping the idea of a macbook ever failing because it's supposedly the hold grail of computers.

    And I can't blame you either; I'm very protective of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ipod is a whole different territory of self repair!
    The MacBook was actually simple fixes. The Genius just rendered me incapable to do it myself!
    Put me to a challenge, I'll prove it to you that I can do it!

    ReplyDelete